Wednesday 16 March 2016

0441 Bordeaux to Cherbourg and UK


11th & 12th March 2016
Pretty boring driving, really……

Not the most exciting day of the trip – Basically I just drove up through France, and much of the day was on toll-free freeways that did little to excite one scenically.  But the purpose of the day was to get as far north as I could so that Cherbourg would be within easy reach tomorrow.





Having woken up in the cold in the excellent little roadside Aire or rest stop, I quickly had my breakfast and made my cup of tea before getting on the road and heading north.  There really wasn’t much to see once I hit the freeway, although around lunch time I hit a section of toll road so I was off on the side roads for a while, which was a welcome relief.  It always surprises me how narrow some of the roads are in these little villages, and yet how big trucks and coaches use them all the time – It really must be difficult for the locals trying to live a quiet life in their small community.

After Nantes I started to look for a suitable campsite, and quite a number were marked on my map, but whenever I found one, it was closed, despite all the signs beside the road pointing to the site.  Why people cannot put a “Closed” sign over the top during the winter, I do not understand.  It becomes very frustrating to drive some distance off the highway only to find the gates locked up tight.   Grrrrr.   Anyway, after several attempts, I gave up, and decided to head for Mont Saint Michel where I understood there was a camper car site open all year. Camper car means no tents or caravans, just smaller motorhomes, and since Troopie qualifies for this, it sounded the best option. 

When I finally got there, it was a fully automated site with payment and entry only by credit card into a machine.  For the last few days my credit card has been unusable because the strip / chip have somehow got damaged, so I was effectively locked out !  I had cash, but since the machine only took cards, I was stuffed !   More Grrrr, and I headed on into Mont Saint Michel, and by this time it was getting late and I was tired and frustrated.  I followed signs to a campsite, only to find once again that it was closed for the winter, so I ended up in the car park for visitors to the Mount, which I knew could be paid for in cash, and would allow overnight parking, although I knew it would not be cheap.  When I met my sons Nick & Damien and their families here in July last year, we had parked here when we went to the Mount, and it wasn’t cheap then !  But it was a parking spot overnight, which was all I cared about.

It quickly got quite cold once the sun went down (a lovely sunset, with views across to the Mount), and after cooking my supper, I turned in.  During the night I woke up enough times to realize that it was very cold, but despite that I was warm enough – except for my head which I had to keep covered !  When I eventually got up early the next morning, I found out that I was correct – It was minus 2.2 deg C at 7 am, so would have been even colder at about 4 am !  Additionally, there was a THICK fog, or morning mist, so I could hardly see the vehicles 20 metres away in the car park !!  I paid my fees at the (cash enabled) machine, and soon headed off in the fog, hardly able to see a thing on the road. 

On the smaller roads there wasn’t much traffic so driving wasn’t too bad and I just pootled along slowly.  But once I got onto the dual carriageway where it was still really foggy, I couldn’t believe the local drivers still going at full speed – like 130 kmh.  There was no way they could have stopped in time if anything slow or stopped had appeared out of the fog ahead of them.  There was even one Merc flying down the road with no lights on at all – He was almost impossible to see until he was 20 or 30 metres away.  Unbelievable.

Eventually by about 10 am the fog / mist burnt off and a weak sun came through – By this time I was only about 50 kms out of Cherbourg, and scenery wise there wasn’t much to see.  SO for the first couple of hours on the road today I couldn’t see any scenery because of the fog, and for the next coupe of hours, there was nothing much to see anyway !  So not the most exciting last drive in Europe !

At one point I was overtaken by a VW engine trike, and a good condition Citroen DS 21 (cars that were way ahead of their time technically), which gave me something to look at.   Then not much further on I overtook them again as they had slowed down and were no in convoy with some other interesting old French vehicles – A Traction Avant Citroen from the 1940’s (another design triumph for Citroen in it’s day), and then a Fourgonnette as it was
known – The 2CV in delivery van format with iconic corrugated body work to provide added strength without adding weight.  And in front of that was a totally convertible 2CV, which I am not sure was a factory original build, but could have been as apparently some were produced.   Anyway, at least they were something to look at for a while during an otherwise pretty boring drive !

Shortly afterwards I dropped into Cherbourg, and although it was only about 11 am and my ferry didn’t leave till 5.30 pm, that was just perfect as far as I was concerned.  I cruised around town looking for cheap fuel, eventually finding some at 0.92 Euro / litre, so I filled up my tanks which were almost empty since I had last filled up before leaving Spain !  I then went down to the port and made some lunch and did some odd chores around the car (like greasing the rear springs !), and read my Kindle.  The time assed pretty quickly and before long we were starting the loading process.

The ferry was going to Poole which is only about a 30 minute drive from my sister’s house, so much closer than shipping to Portsmouth, and as the ferry eta was 9.45 pm, the shorter drive in the dark would be better.  Once the customs clearance was completed (yet again, no inspection of the car was made !) we boarded.  After the many trucks had been loaded, I was one of the first to drive on, and was directed right down to the VERY front – Troopie’s front bumper was almost hanging over the front of the ship !  I initially thought I was at the front of the ship and would have waves breaking over the car, but on speaking to one of the crew I was assured that this was the stern of the ship, and the car would not get too wet !! Once we got underway, this was proved to be correct, and as a result Troopie crossed the channel backwards, looking back to mainland Europe as she left there for the last time.

The ferry crossing was smooth, there were minimal people on board, and after a meal and bottle of wine, whiled away the remainder of the crossing engrossed in my book.  Once we arrived in Poole, I was the very first car off, which is not always good – No one to follow !  After a couple of surprises at the first roundabouts (which felt really odd after being on the RH side for so long), the UK police just asked me if I was enjoying my trip, and the Customs inspector just waved me straight through. So once again, no inspection entering the country at all.

A relatively easy drive to Milford and sister Margaret’s place, a quick bite to eat and a glass of vino, and it was off to bed, exhausted, but good to be back on “friendly” soil !!  Now to plan and book the next part of my adventure.

Photos here :-  https://picasaweb.google.com/110185357936043625130/0441BordeauxToCherbourgAndUK?authkey=Gv1sRgCM2jw_rdgYiPGA

No comments:

Post a Comment