Monday 20 July 2015

0306 Wandering in Brittany and then heading East


17th – 19th July 2015

The morning was quite cool, and I eventually set off and continued my wander along the NW coast of Brittany.  Through delightful little villages like Plouha and Paimpol, then on to Lannion and Morlaix.  They all had narrow street and amazing little churches, and I stopped in most of them for a walk around.  At Morlaix I turned south in order to avoid Brest, and went down through Blasparts and Playben to Quimper.  Playben in particular had the most ornate and 

decorated church I have seen in a long time – I will need to google that one to find out some of the history because unfortunately there seems to be no information in the churches themselves about their history.  But northern Brittany is delightful – thoroughly enjoyed exploring it just a little.  







Quimber started to get a bit busy and industrialised after the quite villages along the northern coast, so I dropped down of the main road to Concarneau in the hope of finding some cooler breezes by the sea and a camp site in the countryside.  Sure enough, right beside the sea, I found a camp site in Concarneau, and although it was a bit pricey since it had swimming pool, table tennis, jumping castles etc for the kids, it was the right time of day and the very nice, so I went in.  As it also had washing machines and dryers, I took advantage to do a wash, and settled in for an early night – I was pooped !

It was quite a cool night, and after chatting with my German neighbours Jurgen and Barbara for a while, I set off to continue my explore.  Before leaving I tried the wifi, but, like several others, we couldn’t get a signal – Bit of a rip off considering the price of the campsite at 25 euro !  I

I set off round the NW corner of France, avoiding Brest, and then followed the road round the northern end of the Bay of Biscay – I was heading towards Nantes and had made the decision that I would turn east there and start heading towards Copenhagen but do it at a leisurely pace, instead of spending time in western France and then rushing across Europe in 3 or 4 days.  But it rapidly became very busy with lots of traffic, so I decided instead to head east from Lorient, aiming towards Le Mans and Chartres – Thought I might like to see the cathedral there before heading round Paris and on. 

It was cool and drizzling all the way over to Rennes, and not desperately interesting (just lots of farming !) and then somehow I ended up on a toll road to Le Mans – Not my intention !  Getting on was quite difficult – no person in the booth, you just took a ticket and paid when you got off.  But leaning out from the right hand seat to an unmoving machine was a real stretch for me – In S America there is always a person there to lean across and help you !  And once on the Peage, I don’t think I overtook another car –
Everyone else was going at 130 kph !  And so BORING !!!   So I got off in Le Mans, went for a wander round town, and then headed on towards Chartres, this time staying on the country roads where the traffic moves at a much more sedate and enjoyable 90 kph !! I needed some fuel and was looking for the “cheap stuff” (1.15 euro), but the one I found wouldn’t accept my card !  So I ended up paying a ridiculous amount of 1.35 euro at a full service station !  You have to look around to find a cheap station that has a teller (I need to sign my visa card receipt), and today I missed it.  Better luck next time.  But it really is a bit ridiculous that the prices can vary as much as 30 euro cents a litre – That’s about 45 Aussie cents a litre different !   By the time I get used to the system in France I will be in Belgium or Germany where the system will probably be different !!

Anyway, plodded on towards Chartres, with the temps creeping up over 30 deg C again in the late afternoon, and just short of Chartres, in a little village called Nogent-Le- Roi I saw signs to a Camping Municipal site.  Tucked away down by a little stream, it was a miserly 4.50 euro per night – Much more to my liking.  And it still had nice toilets and facilities – Although the French seem to love having mixed facilities – There are just a shower block and a toilet block – and everyone uses them together !  And they seem to have lots of hand basin only cubicles, and few shower cubicles – Haven’t quite worked out what the French do in the hand basin cubicles yet !!  Ah well, vive la difference !!

Had a delicious steak I had bought today for supper together with new potatoes and some veggies – and just as I finished cleaning up it started raining !!  Perfect timing, and it also cooled everything down quickly.  Tomorrow into Chartres……

Rest of the pics are here :-  https://picasaweb.google.com/110185357936043625130/0306WanderingAroundBrittany?authkey=Gv1sRgCLyhwdKV5cOQpAE

No comments:

Post a Comment