Friday 31 July 2015

0312 Sakskobing to Copenhagen


26th July 2015
Rain causes a day off

After a very warm and pleasant evening when I was able to cook and eat outside in the evening sunshine, it rained during the night.  And it was still raining when I woke up in the morning. Hard.  I think in the entire trip since leaving Australia 16 months ago, this was the first time it has really been raining when I wanted to pack up.  So I sat around for a while and pondered what to do.  Then I got on the internet and read that the campsite in Copenhagen, my next stop, was usually very crowded and if you didn’t have a booking, it was recommended that you arrive before noon.  That helped make up my mind – I would stay where I was for one more day, do some chores and wifi, and then pack up and drive to Copenhagen to meet Janet the next day – Seeing her flight didn’t arrive till 4 pm I had plenty of time to get there. Eventually the rain stopped, and I had a quiet day in the camp site in Sakskobing.

Even though it had rained during the night, and was pretty dark and gloomy in the morning, at least it wasn’t actually raining when I packed up, so after a chat with my next door neighbor Morton, I was on my way to Copenhagen. 

Countryside was much the same as it had been, and I shortly passed over the Faro bridge which joined the island I was on to the larger one (but still not the “mainland”, that Copenhagen is on.  As you can see from the Windsock in the photo, the wind was pretty strong, and when I stopped on a small island halfway across to take a photo of the bridge, it was both cold and very windy.  From there I drove on into to Copenhagen, went to the hotel I had booked for Janet’s first couple of nights (to help her acclimatize after the flight from Bangkok), checked in, and then set off to the airport.

Parking at the airport was fun, to put it mildly.  As usual I had a slight height problem, and the first couple of car parks had 2 metre limits (I am 2.12), and a 3rd open air one I couldn’t get to accept my credit card – No real people anywhere of course – Just machines.  The 4th one looked promising with a 2.15 limit, but as I entered I just touched the swinging warning bar – But I decided to carry on !  Then trying to get the gate open so I could get it was a nightmare – When you cannot read any of the instructions on machines because they are all in Danish, it is very difficult.  I asked a couple of other local people in the other lane how they did it, and it seemed to work for them, so I tried and tried and eventually the boom gate went up, and I quickly ran around to the right hand side of the car (think about it !), leapt in, and drove into the car park area.  I think I was close to the roof in a few places, but never touched again – Obviously that swinging bar had sagged down a bit !

Janet’s flight arrived a little early, so we were soon out and headed back to the hotel, and once we had dropped her stuff off we walked about 10 minutes into town for a bite before she got too tired and fell asleep !  We were back at the hotel fairly early and slept like logs, ready for an early wake up in the morning to move the car off the “free” parking spot outside the hotel.

Photos are here :-  https://picasaweb.google.com/110185357936043625130/0312SakskobingToCopenhagen?authkey=Gv1sRgCPiY_77zgtzL6gE

No comments:

Post a Comment