Tuesday 8 September 2015

0350 Tallinn to Kabli


7th Sept 2015
Rain, and old wooden houses

After packing up this morning and spending a couple of hours exploring Toompea, we finally left Tallinn at about 1 pm, and set off down the main road south towards Parnu and Riga. And when we reached Parnu at about 3.30 pm, it was still raining !   Hard.  It was not a very pleasant journey because there were a lot of trucks on this road, and with all the spray it made it very hard to see clearly. 



Parnu is a small town on the coast, and a couple of local people had told us it was worth a visit.  So despite the fact that it was still raining hard, we went off into central Parnu – And despite the rain, it really was a pleasant looking small town, with lots of wooden houses and buildings.  Obviously we couldn’t stop and walk around, which was a bit of a shame, but we were glad we had made the detour off the main road into town for a quick look.

Not long after Parnu, I saw diesel at a really cheap rate (less than 1 Euro per litre) and dove off the road to fill up.  It was a Luk Oil (Russian) gas station, and I guess I was so excited about the cheap price, and also some
hot dogs they were advertising, that for some inexplicable reason I picked up the wrong nozzle, and started pumping 95 octane petrol into one of my diesel tanks !!  Doh !!!  I got 11 litres into the tank before I realized my error, and quickly stopped pumping,  Luckily I have 2 separate  fuel tanks that are isolated from each other, so we were able to continue on south while I tried to work out how I was going to solve this problem !  I felt so stupid – I have NEVER done this kind of thing before !  Is this another sign of increasing age ?????  Oh dear !!

We tried to get off the busy main road as much as possible, but the smaller coastal roads were not continuous, and kept pushing us back onto the main road.  Eventually, near Haademeeste we found a good little road running down the coast, and at about 4.30 pm, since it had now stopped raining, we decided to start looking for a camp site.  There were several marked, but all of them were closed for the season.  Eventually we found one in a little town called Kabli, which, although it was also closed, was totally deserted and had a large area which we could access.  So we set up there, got ready for a wet night, and went to bed.   Tomorrow, Latvia and Riga, a place I have always wanted to visit.    


No comments:

Post a Comment